What you need to recover
Successfully recovering from knee surgery requires a combination of wound care, compression, physical therapy, and pain mitigation. Almost all of these components can be enhanced with the help of cryo-compression treatment. The Game Ready© ice and compression (cryotherapy) machine will make a huge difference with pain relief and a faster recovery. You can use it yourself, it’s portable and easy to apply. Sports Health have helped loads on New Zealanders recovery relatively pain free and quickly with the use of the Game Ready©, find out how –
- Immediately post-operative – Compression stockings are commonly used after surgery to help prevent blood clots. The Game Ready© provides intermittent compression which gives the same benefits by enhancing the flow of blood and other fluids. The addition of cold therapy also helps reduce the swelling that occurs immediately after surgery, which ultimately leads to a faster recovery.
- Days after surgery – One of the steps that most physical therapists take after knee surgery is to teach patients how to pump their ankles to encourage blood flow. Although this is still a valid practice, the addition of cryo-compression treatment from the Game Ready© can help ensure that the pumping occurs.
- Wound care – Cryo-compression from the Game Ready© helps with healing not just of the deeper tissues that were affected by the surgery, but also of the incision sites on the surface. Therapeutic cold slows down cellular metabolism, which helps reduce cell death and secondary tissue damage, contributing to faster healing and less chance of infection.
- Pain control – Many patients find that they can reduce or entirely eliminate the use of pain medication with the use of cryotherapy treatment. They benefit from fewer prescription expenses and reduced risk of addiction. Patients also have a better sense of how their recovery is going and just how much activity they can safely handle when sensations are not dulled by pain medications.
- Physiotherapy enhancement – About 1-2 weeks after surgery your physiotherapist is likely to want to start work on your knee to regain full range of motion. Starting with small movements and eventually working to full range exercises the Game Ready© can help you get the most out of your Physio appointments. Cryo-compression before seeing your Physio can help decrease pain and swelling during the session therefore increasing it’s effectiveness, and cryo-compression afterwards can speed recovery from each session.